Mission Tripping in Costa Rica
I just discovered that I will have the wonderful opportunity to join some of my church members on a mission trip to Costa Rica this September. This blog is for the purpose of sharing information about the mission trip and raising funds to make the trip possible.
Please click on the "Help Fund" tab if you'd like to contribute
(or the arrow next to "Mission Tripping Home" on your iphone.)
Costa Rica
Costa Rica is a Central American Country
sitting between the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea, just North of Panama.
We will be possibly be working with churches in San Jose, San Ramon, y Alajuela. You can see San Jose, the capitol city of Costa Rica, in the center of the map. Alajuela is NorthWest of San Jose and San Ramon is about an equal distance NorthWest of Alajuela.
Our Mission Goals
Our goal is three fold:
1) to provide a weekend version of Vacation Bible School for the children of the church, which will be my main duty on this mission trip;
2) to provide leadership training on how to study and teach the bible;
3) and to provide leadership training for worship leaders.
Overall, as is the case with all mission trips, the overarching goal is to glorify God by working with our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ in helping to equip the churches in these areas in the sharing of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
What's Covington's FBC have to do with Costa Rica?
Firstly, we are all in the family of Christ. Secondly, a portion of our budget supports a sister church in Costa Rica. That budget is provided for by contributions from our church members. As partners with churches in Costa Rica, we are able to share in the experience of helping to bring God's kingdom here to earth.
Why Partner as a Missions Sponsor?
When I first considered First Baptist Covington for my church home, I was searching for direction in life and very confused about what church-life was all about. Nonetheless, having only recently answered the call of Christianity, I wanted to be a part of God's kingdom in a greater capacity than I was capable of on my own. I asked our pastor Jason Dees, "Why the church BUILDING? Why do we need (holding up my hands) "all this?" I was asking why we couldn't just have Christ in our hearts and let that be enough.
Jason cooly replied that the building is a training ground, and a gathering place for God's people. "The building isn't 'the church,'" he said. "The church is God's people, but the building is important because of what happens in it, and out from it."
Since that time, I have seen in my own life the amazing changes that come from the training and equipping that my family has received in the church. In addition, we've experienced counseling, fellowship, forgiveness (both given and received,) and opportunities to grow as God's children. Our experiences in the church building and with 'the church' have transformed this family's lives, both now and eternally. I know without a doubt that there are hurting people across the world who need a similar experience to my own, who need Jesus, and who will very likely find Jesus through the efforts that happen within the walls of a church or through the efforts of 'the church.'
Partnering as a missions sponsor is like reaching out to those people in need of restoration and salvation, like my family was, equipping the earthly resources that forge the path to the Savior Jesus. God loves us all and wants us to know him; and we can, through the saving work of Jesus Christ.
Partnering as a missions sponsor is like reaching out to those people in need of restoration and salvation, like my family was, equipping the earthly resources that forge the path to the Savior Jesus. God loves us all and wants us to know him; and we can, through the saving work of Jesus Christ.
My Missions Experience
Since joining First Baptist Church in 2010, I've experienced two missions opportunities, both in Georgia. One was inside the walls of a women's half way house and the second was a building project for a church. Though currently a homeschooling mother of 3, I have hopes of going into missions in whatever capacity God has for me. I sincerely appreciate any help you feel led to provide in making this Costa Rica Mission trip a reality and also will appreciate your prayers that God will allow this trip to be fruitful in its goals.


No comments:
Post a Comment